After years of living in New York City, I brought my passion for local foods and culinary art to the Black Hills of South Dakota in the fall of 1996. I channeled my NYC training, skills and energy to create The Corn Exchange Restaurant. After years of elevating the food scene across the state thru creating an awareness for local foods, I had put my restaurant on the Culinary Map. My mission when moving here was “you do not have to live in NYC to create an award winning restaurant.” After cooking a dinner at The James Beard House in March of 2012 and making the list three times for Semi-Finalist for “Best Chef of The Midwest,” I felt that I had come full circle with my restaurant career. I was eager to embark on a fresh challenge when I closed the doors on The Corn Exchange in April of 2013.
Through this new chapter, I was able to channel my theatre background as host of Savor Dakota, Seasons 1 and 2. This show was produced by South Dakota Public Broadcasting which explored the culinary landscape of South Dakota and the people who contribute to that landscape. I am excited to say that CreateTV has picked up the show and is airing it on Mondays across the country on their Homegrown series.
I had the time to work on The Corn Exchange Cookbook – from The Big Apple to The Black Hills during this time. It was finally published in November of 2019 through Potted Rabbit Media. On January 1st, 2020, Florence Fabricant of The New York Times reviewed it.
- James Beard Foundation Awards Judge 2022
- Savor Dakota on SDPB; Host/Creative Consultant, 1/2016-4/2018.
- The Potted Rabbit, Rapid City, SD; Creator, Chef/Owner; Developed the concept, design, and Implementation of this unique specialty food store, bakery and cheese shop.
- The Corn Exchange Bistro, Rapid City, SD: Creator, Chef/Owner of this highly acclaimed and successful farm to table bistro in Rapid City, SD.
- Seasons, Brooklyn, NY: Chef, developed and implemented all aspects of the menu.
- Home Restaurant: New York City, Sous chef under David Page and Barbara Shinn.
- Henry’s End, Brooklyn, NY: Line-Sauté under Mark Lahm, Executive Chef.
- Roetele A.G., New York City: Sous chef under Chef Gianni Cicinelli.
- Le’ Petite Ferme, New York City: Stagiaire/Sous Chef.
- Allison on Dominick, New York City: Pastry chef under Chef Tom Valenti.
- Gage & Tollner, New York City; Line-Sauté’ under Chef Edna Lewis.
- CBS Magazines, New York City: Woman’s Day Specials/Editorial Business Manager.
- Recipe creating, testing, catering, personal chef and food styling for Absolut Vodka NYC, Christopher Ranch Garlic CA, Art Space NYC, Dean & Deluca NYC, The Food Group NYC, Annemarie Huste NYC, Mary Cleaver NYC, Brooke Astor NYC, Alison on the Beach Hamptons, Culture Magazine, Senators Tom Daschle & Tim Johnson Campaign Fundraisers, and Xanterra.
- New York Times Restaurant Critic Eric Asimov February, 1996.
- James Beard Foundation/Volunteer NYC– Meet the Author Series; coordinated chefs with the release of their new cookbook and prepared an event at foundation; some of the authors included were Craig Claiborne, Jacque Pepin, Eileen Yin Fei Lo, Nika Hazelton, Julia Della Croce, Judith & Evan Jones, Jim Fobel and Barbara Kafka. I also volunteered to help chefs prep for their event which included Mark Miller, Prue Leith & Sarah Nop, Christopher Kump & Margaret Fox, Anne Willan and Mark Cherniavsky.
- America The Cookbook, published by Phaidon out 10/7/17 representing South Dakota.
- Three time semi-finalist, Best Chef Midwest, The James Beard Foundation 2008, 2009& 2012.
- James Beard Awards 2008 Gala Reception Featured Chef.
- Featured Chef for March 2012 dinner at The James Beard House, NYC.
- One of three Chefs chosen for Alaska Wilderness League to visit Washington D.C. to meet with senators and congressman on saving the last Alaskan Watershed for Wild Salmon
- Madeleine Kamman Scholarship through WCR to study privately with her for a week along with three other women chef recipients at her home outside of St. Helena, CA.
- 4 day busmen’s holiday at Zuni Café 01/2002 Chef Judy Rodgers
- National Publications that featured the Corn Exchange include Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Food & Wine, Budget Travel, Better Homes & Gardens, Food Arts, Culture Magazine, Wall Street Journal, Rachel Ray Magazine & $40 a Day with Rachel Ray/Food Network Show, ELLE and Cowboys & Indians.
- Lydie Marshal NYC, Paula Wolfert NYC, Prue Leith & Sara Nop NYC, Kate Hill 2006 week in Gascony/France with FCI Alumni Group, Macaroon & Donut/Fritter Class at FCI NYC, Faye Hess 2014 week in Tuscany/Umbria Italy, Neals Yard Dairy Cheese & Wine Pairing 2015 London, Marmalade & Confitures January 2016 with June Taylor San Francisco.
- James Beard Foundation Awards Judge 2022
- Graduate of The French Culinary Institute in NYC (now The International Culinary Center), 1989.
- Performing Arts Degree from Casper College, Casper Wyoming, 1983.