After years of living in New York City, I brought my passion for local foods, culinary art, and slow food to the Black Hills of South Dakota. I channeled my NYC training and skills in a new direction and from that energy, The Corn Exchange was born. In the latter years of running the restaurant, I began to feel that I had come full circle, and I was eager to embark on a fresh challenge.
In this new chapter of my culinary life, I am also able to channel my theatre background as I host Savor Dakota: a show exploring the culinary landscape of South Dakota and the people who contribute to that landscape. The show is produced by SDPB and currently in Season 2.
- Savor Dakota, SDPB; host and part creative consultant to a four episode show that aired beginning 7/14/2016. Now in Season 2.
- The Potted Rabbit, Rapid City, SD; Creator, Chef/Owner; Developed the concept, design, and Implementation of this unique specialty food store, bakery and cheese shop.
- The Corn Exchange Bistro, Rapid City, SD: Creator, Chef/Owner of this highly acclaimed and successful farm to table bistro in Rapid City, SD.
- Seasons, Brooklyn, NY: Chef, developed and implemented all aspects of the menu.
- Home Restaurant: New York City, Sous chef under David Page and Barbara Shinn.
- Henry’s End, Brooklyn, NY: Line-Sauté under Mark Lahm, Executive Chef.
- Roetele A.G., New York City: Sous chef under Chef Gianni Cicinelli.
- Le’ Petite Ferme, New York City: Stagiaire/Sous Chef.
- Allison on Dominick, New York City: Pastry chef under Chef Tom Valenti.
- Gage & Tollner, New York City; Line-Sauté’ under Chef Edna Lewis.
- CBS Magazines, New York City: Woman’s Day Specials/Editorial Business Manager.
- Recipe creating, testing, catering, personal chef and food styling for Absolut Vodka NYC, Christopher Ranch Garlic CA, Art Space NYC, Dean & Deluca NYC, The Food Group NYC, Annemarie Huste NYC, Mary Cleaver NYC, Brooke Astor NYC, Alison on the Beach Hamptons, Culture Magazine, Senators Tom Daschle & Tim Johnson Campaign Fundraisers, and Xanterra.
REVIEWS and ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
- New York Times Restaurant Critic Eric Asimov February, 1996.
- James Beard Foundation/Volunteer NYC– Meet the Author Series; coordinated chefs with the release of their new cookbook and prepared an event at foundation; some of the authors included were Craig Claiborne, Jacque Pepin, Eileen Yin Fei Lo, Nika Hazelton, Julia Della Croce, Judith & Evan Jones, Jim Fobel and Barbara Kafka. I also volunteered to help chefs prep for their event which included Mark Miller, Prue Leith & Sarah Nop, Christopher Kump & Margaret Fox.
- America The Cookbook, published by Phaidon out 10/7/17 representing South Dakota.
- Three time semi-finalist, Best Chef Midwest, The James Beard Foundation 2008, 2009& 2012.
- James Beard Awards 2008 Gala Reception Featured Chef.
- Featured Chef for March 2012 dinner at The James Beard House, NYC.
- One of three Chefs chosen for Alaska Wilderness League to visit Washington D.C. to meet with senators and congressman on saving the last Alaskan Watershed for Wild Salmon
- Madeleine Kamman Scholarship through WCR to study privately with her for a week along with three other women chef recipients at her home outside of St. Helena, CA.
- 4 day busmen’s holiday at Zuni Café 01/2002 Chef Judy Rodgers
- National Publications that featured the Corn Exchange include Bon Appetit, Gourmet, Food & Wine, Budget Travel, Better Homes & Gardens, Food Arts, Culture Magazine, Wall Street Journal, Rachel Ray Magazine & $40 a Day with Rachel Ray/Food Network Show, ELLE and Cowboys & Indians.
- Lydie Marshal NYC, Paula Wolfert NYC, Prue Leith & Sara Nop NYC, Kate Hill 2006 week in Gascony/France with FCI Alumni Group
- Festivals include Artisan Cheese Festival 2010 CA, Macaroon & Donut/Fritter Class at FCI NYC, Faye Hess 2014 week in Tuscany/Umbria Italy, Neals Yard Dairy Cheese & Wine Pairing 2015 London, Marmalade & Confitures January 2016 with June Taylor San Francisco.
- Culinary travels have taken me to London, Paris, Rome, Buenos Aries, Uruguay, Amsterdam, Lisbon and most major cities in the U.S.
- Graduate of The French Culinary Institute in NYC (now The International Culinary Center), 1989.
- Performing Arts Degree from Casper College, Casper Wyoming, 1983.